BC Children's Hospital
We are honored to be a part of the team that has designed and built the new Acute Care facility that houses the BC Children’s Hospital. It has been and extremely rewarding experience to work with Partnerships BC, The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) and our teammates in the Affinity Partnership Group to provide the community with this modern facility that is so crucial to and touches so many families' lives throughout the Lower Mainland.
Formally known as the TECK Acute Care Centre (TACC), This Healthcare Facility represents the second phase of the BC Children’s and BC Women's Redevelopment Project. It is a new 60,000 m2 (640,000 ft2), 9-story Hospital that will provide the following services:
- Emergency Department
- Medical Imaging (Including 2 MRI’s and one Simulator)
- Major and Minor Procedures Suites (Including 4 Specialized O.R.’s)
- Anesthetic Care Unit
- Labour and Delivery (Including High Risk)
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit ((NICU) including approx. 70 private rooms)
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit ((PICU) including approx. 28 private rooms)
- Pharmacy facilities complete with milk processing.
- Advanced Respiratory Therapy
- Burn Treatment
- Oncology/Hematology/Bone Marrow Transplant
- Transfusion Medicine (Renal Dialysis)
- Playrooms, Teen Lounges, Family Kitchens and Laundry Facilities
- Ground level and Rooftop Healing and Viewing Gardens
- Ground level outdoor spaces with playground facilities
- Clinical Education and Research Space
- Underground Car and Bicycle Parking
Highlights of the electrical design for this project are:
- Tying into and revising the campus power distribution system to feed this new ‘Post Disaster Facility’. This includes the addition of two 3.25 megawatt generators and a sophisticated power distribution control system (PDCS) to ensure that power is available when absolutely needed.
- Design to include efficient and effective lighting and lighting control systems for all illumination throughout the health care facility. Through the selection and placement of all fixtures, we have addressed the lighting requirements of all of the many varied tasks and needs of the staff and patients (we have included systems that mimic the natural diurnal cycle). Special consideration has been given to ensure that all architectural and wayfinding features of the building are accented and highlighted.
- Design a complete new Fire Alarm system that will adequately address the requirements of this new state of the art building and all of its occupants and systems while integrating with the various other campus Fire Alarm systems and procedures.
BC Children's Hospital Foundation Video
We are proud to share this video created by the BC Children's Hospital Foundation...
Marty Geusebroek Profiled by the PHSA
His wife Signe’s pregnancy had gone smoothly until she went into unexpected and premature labour...
Marty Guesebroek in the Vancouver Sun
Please take the time to read the story in the Sun about a few inspiring members on our very special team...